As we continue to move through the warmer months, you will no doubt have become aware that tick and flea season is in full swing. However, there is no need to panic – we have compiled this ultimate guide to tick and flea prevention in the UK, including flea and tick treatments for cats and dogs.
What are ticks?
According to the pdsa, ticks can be quite hard to spot on your pet until they grow considerably. Therefore, you should regularly check your pets.
How will I know if my pet has ticks?
At first glance, they may look like a lump on the skin, however on a closer inspection you will be able to see their legs. They may be the size of a small pinhead at first, but they can grow to the size of a match head. Ticks can not only suck your pet’s blood, they can also carry disease.
What are fleas?
Fleas are tiny insects that live on your pets, as well as in your home. As well as making your pet uncomfortable and itchy, they can also regularly cause skin problems as a result of allergies in sensitive pets.
How will I know if my pet has fleas?
If your pet has fleas, they are likely to be itching, licking or chewing more than normal, as well as having inflamed, red skin.
How can I prevent ticks and fleas?
We would recommend the following methods for dog and cat flea prevention:
- Make sure to treat all your pets regularly with cat flea prevention or dog flea treatment (usually every month, but always make sure to check the instructions)
- Regularly wash any pet bedding on a hot wash, as this will get rid of any flea eggs
- Avoid areas with lots of ticks, such as moorland areas and long grass, sticking to paths
- Regularly check your pet for ticks
If one of your pets does get fleas, you should:
- Treat all of your pets so that they don’t pass from one to the other
- Hoover your home to get rid of fleas in your furniture or carpets
- Treat your home with a household flea spray
If you find a tick on your pet, you should:
- Get it removed, or remove it yourself with the right tools, as soon as possible
- Use tick control products
If you are looking for treatments, we offer a range of flea and tick treatment for dogs and cats, with delivery all across the country, from London to Glasgow. These include:
Frontline plus, which uses IGR technology to stop flea eggs from hatching and developing larvae in your home.
We also offer Fipnil Plus for cats and dogs, which kills fleas within 24 hours, and ticks within 48 hours, offering you peace of mind.
For stronger protection, we also offer Advantage Spot on treatment for dogs, cats and rabbits, to immobilise fleas within minutes, killing them within the hour.
Flea season is in full swing until mid-september, so don’t get caught out –
Shop online to protect your pets today!